How Chiropractic Care Can Reduce Scoliosis Pain
Scoliosis is a dysfunction that occurs in the spine, creating an abnormal curvature shape. It generally happens during childhood and can be minor initially but become a more significant problem.
In some cases, people who suffer from conditions such as cerebral palsy and muscular dystrophy or people who experience spinal degeneration later in life may also get scoliosis.
While patients with scoliosis often turn to wearing a back brace or surgery for the condition, chiropractic care is a non-invasive way to encourage comfort and improved spinal balance, which reduces the pain and motion loss due to scoliosis.
This post goes over the following:
• Common symptoms of scoliosis
• Everyday habits to reduce discomfort from scoliosis
• The benefits of chiropractic care for scoliosis
• Chiropractic techniques to help with scoliosis
• And more
Your scoliosis doesn’t have to determine your lifestyle. With safe, effective chiropractic care and lifestyle guidance, you may be able to find comfort and movement again. Read on to learn more about the advantages of chiropractic for scoliosis.
Common Scoliosis Symptoms
For both children and adults, scoliosis symptoms may start slowly; however, as the body grows or time wears on, the curvature of the spine may worsen. Typically, the worse the curvature, the more debilitating the problem and symptoms of the condition.
Scoliosis may cause numerous bodily attributes, including:
• Visibly curved spine
• Uneven shoulders
• A protruding shoulder blade on one side
• Uneven waist
• Difference in leg length
• Uneven hips with one higher than the other
• A protruding rib cage on one side
• One side of the back protruding
• Leaning to one side
As you can imagine, these imbalances can create undue burdens within the body’s soft tissues and joints, as well as further spinal dysfunctions due to compensation, which can lead to negative physical sensations within the back and elsewhere.
Chiropractic care can help reduce the side effects associated with scoliosis discomfort, which commonly include:
• Back pain that ranges from aching to intense
• Muscle spasms
• Hip and leg pain
• Numbness or weakness in the legs when walking or standing for long periods
• Irregular and reduced range of motion or flexibility
These discomforts are primarily due to muscular fatigue related to the overuse of one side of the body, nerve compression, and imbalances in targeted soft tissues that create inflammation.
Scoliosis Pain Management Using Everyday Habits
Changing your lifestyle habits may help you find the comfort you need to enjoy life again. Obviously, overall health is paramount to how your body functions, but this is even more true when living with a chronic condition or injury.
These tips and lifestyle adjustments can enhance your comfort while promoting a healthy body:
• Incorporate stretches into your daily routine. Stretching is vital to movement patterns, flexibility, and range of motion.
• Incorporate exercises that promote core strength into your daily routine. When the core is strong, it helps support balance and removes pressures from the spine.
• Learn good posture and correct it as needed throughout the day.
• Massage the back regularly to reduce tension on the spine and its surrounding soft tissues.
• Apply heat to the back to promote nutrient-rich circulation and loosen muscles that may be contributing to discomfort.
These lifestyle adjustments can help naturally improve your overall comfort and health and contribute to your body’s healing process.
Benefits of Chiropractic for Scoliosis
Scoliosis can lead to many dysfunctions in the body. With pressure, tension, inflammation, and inactivity come imbalances. Your scoliosis chiropractic care plan can give you several benefits that reduce discomfort and allow the body to heal holistically and safely.
Common benefits of chiropractic solutions for scoliosis include:
• Improved posture. Posture is so important to your spine, back, and many other areas of the body. Chiropractic can help retrain the body so it can properly support your posture and give you insight and tips into maintaining those good results.
• Improved comfort. Pain and motion loss are common among scoliosis patients due to uneven pressures within the spine and tissues. Spinal manipulations can relieve those pressures and reduce inflammation, reducing pain.
• Improved mobility. When tissues and joints are inactive, they can become weak, and imbalances will arise. Your chiropractor will reduce restrictions within the musculoskeletal system so you can move safely and freely and get the movement your body needs to heal and strengthen.
• Improved treatment. Relying on opioids, over-the-counter medications, or injections is unsustainable and carries many risks. Chiropractic solutions are trauma-free, support natural healing, have little to no downtime, and ensure your body is functioning to its fullest with its comprehensive approach to care.
Let Our Portland and Seattle Chiropractic Clinics Help You Get Scoliosis Relief
Pain and discomfort are among the most common problems people with scoliosis face. These symptoms often negatively impact their lifestyle, jeopardizing everything from work to social life to physical ability. We know you want your quality of life back, and we aim to help you achieve that.
Our chiropractic care teams will provide a wellness plan that alleviates the pain your scoliosis is causing. Designing a strategy that incorporates spine, joint, and soft tissue health, we’ll help you heal and give you guidance to stay healthy.
The chiropractic solutions we offer to improve the spine and musculoskeletal system and reduce scoliosis discomfort include:
• Take-home exercises and lifestyle guidance
• And more
Book your appointment today, and let us help you find the natural comfort you and your body are yearning for.