The Relationship Between Neck Pain & Shoulder Pain
Chiropractors often work with patients suffering from neck pain or shoulder pain. And while these two things may seem like completely different problems, they are very much interconnected.
In fact, sometimes, when you experience neck pain, the condition causing that symptom is in the shoulder and vice versa.
Chiropractors are trained to understand the inner workings of the body’s soft tissues, joints, and nerves, all of which must work together for the body to be in balance and able to function pain- and restriction-free. Treating the source of your pain allows your body to heal correctly and helps keep reinjury from occurring.
This post will help you understand the relationship between neck and shoulder pain, so you can get the care that will help.
NECK & SHOULDER CONNECTION
The neck and shoulder are close in proximity and share several soft tissues, including tendons, ligaments, and nerves. When any of these tissues are injured, the symptoms can be felt in various areas of the neck and shoulder.
In many cases, pain radiates or moves from one area into another, making finding the nature of the injury tricky. Chiropractic services are designed to take a full-body approach to treatment. A sophisticated, comprehensive analysis of how the body moves and functions will tell your doctor where the condition lies and how to best treat your pain.
DO I HAVE A NECK INJURY OR A SHOULDER INJURY?
If you’re trying to determine whether you have a neck injury or a shoulder injury prior to a visit to your chiropractor, each has its own unique set of symptoms. Knowing the symptoms and their causes will help you determine how to approach your at-home care, such as icing, resting, or supporting the area.
SYMPTOMS OF A NECK INJURY
Neck injury symptoms include:
• Radiating pain that runs from the neck into your shoulder blade
• Radiating pain from the back of your neck into the side of your neck
• Stabbing or jolting pain in the neck or the top of the arm
• Radiating pain from the neck down the arm to the hand
• Worsening neck pain when you move your neck
• Worsening neck pain while at rest
If you feel any of these symptoms, supporting the neck may help relieve your pain until you receive proper chiropractic care.
CAUSES OF NECK INJURY
There are several reasons you may be suffering from a neck injury, including:
• Bone or soft tissue dysfunction
• Trauma to the soft tissues, such as a car accident or slip and fall
• Habitual poor posture
• Degenerative disc disease
• Muscle strain or tears
SYMPTOMS OF A SHOULDER INJURY
Shoulder injury symptoms include:
• Dull, aching pain in the shoulder
• Pain in the upper arm
• Radiating pain from the shoulder into the arm
• Pain when lying on the affected shoulder
• Worsening shoulder pain while at rest
• Worsening shoulder pain when the arms are stretched up high or behind the body
• Worsening shoulder pain when lifting objects
If you feel any of these symptoms, resting the arm of the injured shoulder may help relieve your pain until you receive proper chiropractic care.
CAUSES OF SHOULDER INJURY
There are several reasons you may be suffering from a shoulder injury, including:
• Soft tissue strains from overuse or repetitive use
• Shoulder joint instability
• Shoulder dislocation
• Frozen shoulder
• Pinched nerves or nerve impingement
• Rotator cuff injuries or tears
CHIROPRACTIC SERVICES FOR YOUR NECK OR SHOULDER INJURY
Whether your pain stems from your neck or shoulder, chiropractic solutions can end your symptoms quickly and effectively using safe, natural methods. In the meantime, we recommend resting the area, so you don’t cause further damage.
Our team will analyze your body and go over your issues so we can give you an accurate diagnosis. Of course, we want to end your pain, but you leave our clinic with much more than that.
Whenever possible, we’ll provide stretches and exercises to strengthen the area, promoting better overall function and minimizing the prospect of reinjury. You’ll also learn about proper movement patterns and get postural guidance to enhance your good results.
Book your appointment today if you’re ready to find balance and get a body that can support you at its best. You won’t be disappointed.